Soft tacos or wraps are one of my favorite "go-to" meals. I always have the ingredients in the house, and they are super easy to make. You can use almost anything in them that you want. Some of my favorite fillings are salsa, guacamole, cheese, sour cream or yogurt, refried beans, and sautéed veggies. In fact, the soft tacos above have all of those in them. Here is the order of how I get everything to the table while it's still hot (or cold).
1 lb. ground beef - Of course, I want you to use organic or naturally-raised beef.
1 1/2 T. chili powder
1/4 - 1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1 c. shredded cheese - cheddar or pepperjack are my favorites
1 c. salsa - I use our homemade salsa.
1 onion, sliced
1-2 bell peppers, sliced
1 c. guacamole
1 c. sour cream or yogurt
1 c. refried beans
2-4 tortillas, any size
- Wrap the tortillas in a dish towel and put in a very low (250 degree) oven. Alternatively, you can microwave them for 30 seconds.
- Brown the ground beef on medium-high heat.
- While the beef is browning, throw the onion and peppers into a skillet and sauté over medium-high heat just until they soften.
- Add the seasonings and turn to low. Let simmer while you prepare everything else.
- If you don't have prepared guacamole, take a ripe avocado and mash it with garlic salt and lime juice. Yum!
- When your meat and veggies are done, put everything in bowls on the table.
- Turn off the oven and take out the tortillas that you will be using immediately. Leave the rest in the oven to keep warm.
- Put a tortilla on your plate and load up! (Henry likes to use two tortillas because he always has too much filling).
This dish is part of this month's Grow Your Own event launched by Andrea of Andrea's Recipes. This monthly food blogging event celebrates the foods we grow or raise ourselves.